Droitwich Marina

The trip down the river was fairly uneventful, but coming up the Droitwich canals to the marina we got absolutely soaked. The weather was cold and windy at first, but warmed up a bit by 11:30. Waitrose in Vines park provided lunch, then just as we had finished it started to rain. The forecast said

Stourport – on the river

We were due to pick up Karen & Simon at around 11:00, as they said their train got in to Kidderminster at 10:30, but then we recieved a message saying that they were an hour early. We still had plenty of time to get to Sainsburys to get some stuff for lunch. We set off

Woverley Court Lock

Rain, rain, rain and more rain! The weather forecast was showing the rain getting worse as the day went on, so we set off earlyish at 8:15. This part of the canal was very familiar to us as it was our “home canal” for about 6 years. We had fun trying to remember the order


It poured with rain all night and was still raining lightly when we awoke. We settled down to a porridge breakfast expecting to wait a while for the weather to improve. But at about 8:30 the sky cleared and it’s been a lovely sunny day. We have boated this bit of the Staffs & Worcs


13 miles, 7 locks. Again the weather forecast said rain all day, we woke up to rain but it more or less stopped for the rest of the day except a bit of drizzle at times. All the locks were in our favour until we reached Compton lock at about 2:00. We had lunch then


The morning started off much like yesterday, cold & wet. Our Eberspacher isn’t working at the moment, so to warm up I lit the fire at about 10 o’clock. There was a break in the rain, and the sky looked to be clearing, so we set off. But the break didnt last long. It was

Tixall Wide

8 miles, 3 locks The weather forecast was right today. It was on/off drizzley raind until midday, then rained hard all day. We set off at 8:15 and arrived in Tixall wide at 11:30. We have stayed here all day looking at the rain, the wind and the geese!

Carr House Bridge

7.5 miles, 10 locks The weather forecast for today was heavy rain until mid afternoon. So initially we decided to stay put until the rain eased off. But by about 9:30 the sky was clearing and the rain had stopped, so we set off. The weather forecast was wrong – no more rain all day.

Near Hem Heath

13 miles, 17 locks. A long day today. We had planned a short day. The intention was to overnight in Hanley Park. There are good moorings there and it’s very attractive. But I read some online reports of moorers who have had trouble overnight from local teenagers. So we made a brief stop for lunch

Hazelhurst Aqueduct

We had previously decided to go up the Caldon canal. It was over 15 years ago that we last did it and, as we are now moving the boat south, it’s unlikely that we’ll be this way again. Unfortunately C&RT have closed the further end because of low water levels. At one point the Candon